Monday, October 22, 2007

WEDDINGS ARE NOT MY IDEA OF A GOOD TIME

I'm not as much of a social butterfly as my girl, Miko, is. But I really do love hanging out with my friends. And the people I call friends are not just people that I happen to kind of like. The people I call friends are people that have proven their friendship. They're people that have stood by me through the rain, the fire, and the tears. They are some ride or die friends. And I appreciate them so much. That's why when the opportunity arises for me to kick it with them, I try to jump on it every time I can.

This past weekend, two people that I consider to be a friend, especially the bride, got married. There was never any doubt in my mind if I should go to the wedding. I just didn't really want to. I wanted to see them, but not at the wedding.

Before you start wondering if I'm a hater, let me hurry up and point out why I didn't want to go to the wedding. First of all, and really my only point... Weddings are so darn visual. From the bride's dress, to the bride maid's dresses, to the flower girl, to the flowers, to the decorations, to the cake, and to the rings... All of it is a show for the eyeballs.

So, pretty much, when I go to a wedding, I just sit there and smile. And then I stand when whoever I'm with gives me the cue to stand for the bride.

Don't get me wrong, weddings are not at all totally unenjoyable for me. I enjoy the music, if it is good enough to enjoy, listen to the vows, only if the bride and groom are speaking in the mike, and patiently wait for the reception so I can eat. ?And since I'm not a fan of party puches and cakes with a load of sweet icing, the receptions are really not too much my favorite either.

The one thing I was looking forward to at this wedding was seeing some people that I haven't had a chance to see in a long time. I wanted to see some of the people that I call friend, as well as those who were real close to being on Angie's "true friend" list. And I did. That part of the wedding was fantastic.

So, after the visual part of the wedding ended, I lit up like a Christmas tree. I put my social butterfly hat on, started skinning and grinning like only my daddy and Miko can do so well, and greeted all of those that I was so happy to see. It was great!

******
To Charlene and Samax:
I know you don't read my blog... Well, I shouldn't be presumptuous... But anyway...
I wanted to wish you two the best that marriage, intimacy, and friendship can bring a couple. I pray that peace, happiness, unconditional love, financial freedom, safety, security, and excitement wrap around you for the life of your marriage, which I hope is for the rest of you all's lives.
I know as well as you know that tribulation and turbulance will visit you. However, I pray that you are able to ride on top of the wave of heartache, rather than falling underneath the tides that often come to drown those who swore they would live and love each other for life. I pray that your home is blessed and full of God's favor. I pray that both of you experience God's love and acceptance through the loving companionship of one another.
God bless both of you and those children that will be brought here so fast. LOL

With love on my mind,

Angie Braden

2 comments:

Samax said...

i was truly moved by your presence at my wedding (by the way i, having 20/20 vision, am not a big fan of weddings either, but that's a whole 'nother blog!)

many people who could have more easily made it found themselves unable to, so don't think no one appreciates the determination it took for you to attend. if life has taught me nothing else, i have learned to share my appreciation with people who love me.

thanks angela! charlene and i both love you very much!

Angela L. Braden, Writer, Speaker, Professor said...

Samax, I love both of you right back. I love you apart from each other and together. Hell, I just love y'all period.


Hugs and kisses,

A