Monday, February 12, 2007

A Wonderful Article

Talking Over the Disabled is an Insult to Them

Sunday, July 30, 2006
Deborah Kendrick

It used to surprise people at times when my 3-year-old would order for herself in a restaurant. It was important to me to teach my children to speak for
themselves, rather than be spoken about or around, as if they were inanimate objects. My experience with being the center of such inappropriate interaction
led me long ago to the conviction that speaking for yourself is vital.

"Would she like the light blue or the dark," a clerk once asked my college roommate about my preference in jeans.

"She would like to see what you have," said I, reaching for the pair of brandname pants in her hands.

The insult is commonly recognized by people with visible disabilities.

If you're in a wheelchair, have a guide dog, walk with an unsteady gait or use a magnifier to see the menu or read the price tags, those accompanying you
will often be asked to read your mind.

For years, I thought this was just a "blind thing," reserved for those of us who have difficulty making eye contact. I was wrong. Take an aging parent or
a child under 12 shopping, and you'll see what I mean.

"Bring her over here," you are told.

"Have him sit there."

"Would he like cream for his coffee? "

Sometimes, humor lurks in these awkward moments. Years ago, I was in a Canadian yarn shop with my husband, looking for materials for a crochet project.
He was beginning to tell me about some color options when a sales representative intervened.

"Does she like lavender?" she asked him.

"I don't know," he said, holding the skein to my nose and pretending to sign.

"Mmmm, lavender," I announced, taking my cue. "It smells lovely."

He picked up another and whispered its color in my ear.

I inhaled. "Ivory!" I exclaimed. "It's great."

Silliness is sometimes the only way to avoid the sting of insult. I mean, if a waitress comes up to a table where two people are engaged in animated conversation,
why would she assume that only the one who isn't sitting in the wheelchair is able to talk? But she does. It happens all the time.

You take your 80-year-old father to the symphony, where he has been going for some 60 years, and the usher tells you where to "put" him, asks you if he'd
like a program. Probably this man has been speaking, without hesitation, for himself for decades, but now that he doesn't hear well or is leaning on a
walker, he has somehow lost "permission" to state his own preferences.

It may seem a trivial matter, but when you are talked about in the third person, the message is a clear one of being discounted, irrelevant, secondary to
the situation. Whether you receive this message because you have a disability, are a child, are from another country or have attained the age of wisdom,
the impact is the same.

I taught my children to order food for themselves because it is a simple way of building confidence, practicing the lesson that "I matter, and so does what
I have to say."

You can make a difference if you find yourself playing any of the three roles in this common scenario.

If you are the outsider, speak to the person who is different—older, younger, disabled, foreign—with the assumption that he or she will respond.

If you are the companion of the visibly different individual, simply smile and say "Ask him" or "Tell him" to move the dialogue in the appropriate direction.

If you are the person being discounted for disability or any other reason, assert yourself. Answer the question, pick up the conversation on your own—or,
for quick understanding, try talking about yourself in the third person. You might get a laugh, and you'll definitely be counted back into the circle.

The Columbus Dispatch
Deborah Kendrick is a Cincinnati writer and advocate for people with disabilities.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the article. It is really count much and give confident to a person or a child if we asked them before ardering for them. I always asked my kids they are four and two. My husband always tells me to sleep early I am grown up person and I know that I have to wake up early but I still want to stay up late some time. it is really painful because I have to listen to him and go to bed because he does not stop saying it until i go to bed and sleep.

Anonymous said...

This article really highlights how alot of people act towards people with disabilities. It's a shame that people are so uncomfortable talking to someone with disabilities that they avoid it by asking someone else who is with them. I think that if people were more culturally sensitive then they wouldn't have problems talking to disabled people.

Aaron Lindquist

Anonymous said...

This article is very clear to me that disabled people are not babies and make their own decisions. for example, i am a waitress and when a disabled person comes in i never ask someone else what the disabled person wants. Instead i ask the disabled person what they would like and i do the same for children. I know that i dont want others making decisions for me.