Sunday, September 30, 2007

Going Back to Cali (Part I.)

I've been meaning to blog about my California trip for a couple of weeks. But work and family has me so busy that I can hardly ever sit down and just write my own stuff. But that's going to have to change. For one, I want to blog more. And secondly, I need to start doing some serious writing, writing that will turn into dollars. And I mean a lot of dollars... So, I'm going to have to find some kind of way to not let work and family dominate my life. (I believe in miracles.)

Well, a couple of weekends ago, I decided at the last minute that I wanted to hop on a plane and go see my WCBF (west coast best friend). When she was living in NYC, I would go and visit her at least once a year. Well, she moved out to LA in January and my ECBF turned in to my WCBF. (All you east coast folks should know that I currently have an opening for a best friend in the east. Any applications?)

I digress...

Well, the first interesting thing that happened as I was planning for my trip to Los Angeles is that my five-year-old nephew, Joseph, asked me, "Ann, who's going to fly on the plane with you?" I quickly stated, "Nobody."

Joseph obviously didn't expect that answer. I could hear the wheels of his little mind grinding. He looked up at me and said, "But you're blind. You can't fly by yourself on a plane."

Interestingly, Joseph's opinion is pretty popular. Probably 99% of the folks that I know that know that I travel alone don't like it. And trust me, these folks don't mind telling my 30-something self (Early 30’s… LOL) that they think I shouldn't travel alone, but never volunteering their sighted eyes to travel with me.

Here's the thing, I really don't like to travel alone. But I refuse to sit up and wait on somebody else to go where I want to go. If I was waiting on the sighted folks that have an opinion regarding my traveling practices to go on a trip with me, I would have never been most of the places I've been and intend to go for the rest of my life.

Let me clear up something for all the people that worry about me on a plane... I'm not really in any more of a disadvantage than all the sighted passengers on the plane. If the plane goes down, 20/20 ain't gon’ help nobody. Plus, if the plane was about to crash, trust me, a heart attack would take me out long before the impact.

Secondly, when I arrive at the airport, there are staff there that can guide me to the plane. And when the aircraft lands, there are people there that guide me to the baggage claim or the passenger pick up.

And for all of you folks that are wondering... Most of the time, I am going to visit someone. So, whoever I'm going to visit usually picks me up from the airport. There are only a couple of trips that I hop on a plane, catch a taxi when I get to my destination, and go somewhere completely by myself. But don't ever think that I won't do that if I got to be somewhere.

In fact, I plan to travel by myself more in the real near future. Once my speaking career flies off, I'll be flying too.

*********
Well, this particular entry went into a different direction from what I intended. I still haven't talked about the actual trip. Well, I'll hit that in my next post.

Much love and high in the sky traveling,

Miss Braden

No comments: