Thursday, February 14, 2008

What will it take for some people to learn?

A couple of weeks ago, I went to Walgreen's at about 1:00 in the morning to get some medicine that I needed to get in my system to stop me from coughing all night. While my sister and I was in the store, we decided to pick up a couple of household items that we needed.

Well, as we were about to turn on one of the aisles in the store, a man came out of what seemed like nowhere and grabbed my hand from behind. I was stunned for a moment. I turned around and looked in the direction of the person that had grabbed my hand from behind. Before I could say anything, the man said, "Can you tell that a nice, handsome, young man has taken your hand?"

I was appalled that this man had the nerve to grab my hand, violating my personal space, and then tried to act like he was flirting. Well, anyone that knows me, knows that although I can't see, I am well able of "looking at you" like you are crazy as hell. Well, I didn't hold back. I gave that man "the look", and he knew that he had pi$$ed me all the way off.

I snatched my hand from him, and replied, "no." to his question. He hurried up and walked away from me. I think he could sense that I was about to pounce all over him.

Here's what I found out after the man walked away.
A. The man, who ignorantly and disrespectfully grabbed me from behind, was a police officer. Can you believe that?
B. Because the man was a police officer, I learned it was a good thing that I disobeyed by first instinct to clock whoever had grabbed me from behind. Didn't he know that it is dangerous to grab a woman like that, at that time of night. Yeah, I might have been blind, but I may have been a roughneck blind sistah. He didn't know. Plus, he didn't know what kind of woman my sister was. Which brings me to C...
C. My sister, Kim, has my back more than I thought she did. Kim was ready to go to war for her oldest sister. She didn't care that the man was a cop. She was ready to tell him off for grabbing me like that. The only reason why she calmed down was because I talked her into relaxing.

I guess there are some people that just don't get it. Just because a person is disabled, does not mean you can treat them like their not an adult. Just because I'm blind, does not mean that I am so desperate for male affection that I would be leaping for joy, just because some random man has grabbed me in a 24-Hour Walgreen's.

**I've been meaning to write about this for a couple of weeks, but I've been so busy at work. Plus, I've been sick. Y'all, what I thought was the flu was apparently pneumonia. The radiologist said I had pneaumonia in my right lung. No wonder I felt like I was going to die a few times last week.

But now, I feel better, and I feel like my blogging energy has returned. So, look out for me. I haven't hung up my blogger's hat just yet.

Love y'all!

Angie Braden
Triumphant Sistah

No comments: