Thursday, May 22, 2008

More Questions

As many of you know, I'm taking questions for the next couple of months. So, anything, and I mean anything you want to ask me, please do.
Yesterday, I decided to also post some of the questions that people ask me off the board, when I'm in the community. So here goes... And these are only a few of the questions that some have dared to ask.

1. You can't see anything at all?
For some reason, people find it hard to believe that these eyes of mine can't see nothing at all. But sorry folks... I can't see a thing. Wish I could say I could see something, but I can't.
People often tell me that the reason why they think that I can see something (shadows, colors, shapes) is because I move around so well. I guess people expect me to walk around, bumping into walls all the time. Or maybe they expect me to be patting on everything around me. Too bad.
I try my best to do all that I do well. And since I got to live life with blindness, I make sure I do that well too. I might bump into a wall from time to time, slip off a curb that I didn't realize was there, bump these hips of mine into the corner of a desk or table, or lose something that is sitting right in my face... That's part of the game. But I'm gon' play this game with as much ease and sexiness as I can. That's a requirement for Angie B.

2. Can you read braille?
Yep... I learned it when I was fourteen-years-old. The doctors warned us that significant blindness was eventually going to visit my Glaucoma diagnosed eyes. So, it was recommended that I prepare for a life with no sight. Although I objected to the idea of learning braille and how to use a cane, my mother left me no choice. I made a decision to deal with learning braille than to deal with my mama being on my behind.
So, I registered for a braille class in the 9th grade. I learned all the levels of braille in a few months. I sped through the class, only because I hated it so much.
I didn't think that it was only going to be three years later that my braille skills would come in handy. I'm glad that I learned it when I could. I guess my doctor was right in that particular case.
Even though I can write braille like a speed demon, my reading skills are slow. My fingers are just not sensitive enough to pick up on those dots. Plus, my fingers actually start feeling numb after 30-minutes of reading. I don't know...

3. Who bathes you? Who combs your hair? Who irons your clothes? Who washes your clothes?
The answer to all those questions is ME. I don't know why people think that blindness would make it hard for me to bathe myself. Yeah, I can see the how people would think that ironing and washing clothes would be hard. But bathing myself... **sigh**
I'm very careful when I iron. I take my time. There have been a few occasions that I rushed when I was ironing and got punished. So, the key is to be careful and take my time.
Washing clothes... Well, I have my washer labelled with braille. That way, I can turn the knob to the setting that I want it on. Got it?
Because I don't do a lot of different things with my hair, I can manage it pretty good. Plus, my texture of hair is pretty manageable. Thanks Daddy and Mama. And I try to keep it a length that is good for me. I like it real short or to my shoulders. Anything in between is hard for me.

**I'll stop here. But expect more questions and answers throughout this summer.
Renee: I haven't forgot about my commitment to further answer your question. I'll get to it real soon.
And everyone else: Shoot me a question. Post it, or e-mail me. I'm here.

Blessings,
Angela**

3 comments:

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

Hey Angela!

I love this question and answere session. I think this ia a great to communicate with folks about your challenges. Hey I have my sight and I am still challenged with ironing!

Happy Birthday to your MOM! it was so good of you to stop by and wish me Happy Birthday! Sister I am celebrating all year long so not worry you were not late! I will be 45 until next May 2, 2009!

The First Domino דומינו said...

At Angela: "I might bump into a wall from time to time, slip off a curb that I didn't realize was there, bump these hips of mine into the corner of a desk or table, or lose something that is sitting right in my face..."

Angela, I'm sighted and a little chagrin to say that I've done all these things from time to time.

I don't walk into walls that often, but it has happened.

Thanks for your willingness to answer questions regarding blindness.

You answered my questions in the first session, but I'm pleased to see that no respectful question is out of bounds.

You have certainly opened my eyes: blindness can take many forms.

Namaste

Vee said...

WOW!!! you are amazing!!