Thursday, December 27, 2007

Six Inches

Earlier this year, in the summer, my boss scheduled a woman to come to the office and offer our staff some sensitivity and blindness awareness training. Honestly, I could have done the training myself. I think that my over 20 years of legal blindness affords me the expertise that's needed to hip others to what it is like to be blind. But I guess it was probably a good idea to bring an outsider in. You know how it is... People have a tendency to believe and respect an outsider much faster than one of their own.

Well, the lady pretty much said everything I would have said. But the one thing she said, that I can confirm as truth, but I had never really thought about, was that something can be six inches away from a blind person and be totally lost. When I tell you that sister ain't never lied about that!

I can't number the times that I have been on a major hunt for something, only to find it right under my dag on nose. So many times, I have gone to get someone in my family to help me search for something that I've lost and been looking for a long time, only for them to find it in less than one minute. It's a trip!

What's the solution for this problem? To be organized... To have a good memory...

Well, I'm not going to say that I'm challenged in both my organizational and memory skills. But I will say that I, especially that I'm getting older, am not so good at putting things down and remembering where in the hell I put them. I'm guessing that it is a down hill slide from here. As I get older, more stuff will get lost.

Well, I'm not going to speak that negativity on my life. Instead, I will say that I will learn and put into practice to be more mindful of where I place things, so that I can remember where they are when I need them.

There it is. Positivity in the atmosphere. I'm looking for my return.

Y'all have a good day. I know I will.

Much love, peace, and satisfaction,

Miss Braden

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’ve been reading your blogs off an on for a week now in my cubical at work. However, I could not reply accordingly, but I've cried and rejoiced with you while reading. As God would have it, I ran across this site one evening while searching for a few college alums. While reading the passages I thought, such eloquent words could only come from Ms. Angie Braden of the Maple Hall dorms at UNT. I was saddened to hear of your electrical fire, but we know that God brings forth blessings. I’m so proud of you for utilizing your skills in such a profound way to educate society of your many views. You’ve never ceased to amaze me and to me, you are the true definition of resiliency.

I’m not sure if you remember me, but my dorm room was four doors down on the opposite side of yours. I attended UNT between 1992-1996 and finished later. My last roommate’s initials were YL before I moved into Maple and we sang in the North Texas Voices of Praise. I could reminisce for days. Reading your blogs has been a breath of fresh air, and yes it’s me-Pam. Love you and keep doing a great job.

Angela L. Braden, Writer, Speaker, Professor said...

Hey Pam!!! I'm so excited to see a comment from you. I'm so glad that you found me. Please stay in touch. I e-mailed you. Be sure to hit me back.

A

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

Wishing you a very Happy, Healthy and Joyful New Year! I am excited that you connected with a college buddy! Ah the power of the www.
I look forward to your 2008 posts!
Love,
Babz

Anonymous said...

That is really interesting. When I look at you I really am inspired. When I see what you have accomplised it makes me want to strive for more in my life.