Friday, November 07, 2008

This Week in the Life of Angie (Part 1 of 3)

This week, I've been on a wild roller coaster of emotions. I've gone from nervous to confident, from fearful to courageous, from mad to forgiving, from disappointed to thankful, from doubtful to faith-filled, and from subdued to excited. Since Monday, I've been fighting off the feeling of depression, which comes to haunt me the week before my cycle. I've been in a rage when someone hurt me, a rage that was totally out of character for me. I've shed tears of joy, sadness, and anger this week. I've been a tad bit intoxicated two nights of this week, which is highly unusual. And I've been spiritually intraspective every since Sunday, taking the time to consider the possibility of reuniting with the body of believers, as a church member, that is.

This is one of the reasons why I haven't been able to effectively write about my Obama experience this week. Sandwiched between his and our victory on Tuesday was a great deal of family drama. Yes, I was glad for President-Elect Obama. But it was hard to relax in the excitement and pure joy, because my folks, the people that reside in the same four walls as I do, insisted on disturbing my happiness. But even still, I cannot forget about the significance of what happened this week.

This week, Barack Obama, my preferred candidate for president, was elected to be the commander and chief of a nation that once kidnapped, stole, sold, bought, and abused African men, women, boys, and girls. This week, an African American man, who has a foreign sounding name, was elected the commander and chief of a nation that has proven to have xenophobic and racist beliefs. This week, it was confirmed that an African American man, his African American wife, and their African American daughters would move into the White House, a structure that was built by African slaves, but only for White Americans to call home. What a week!!!

**To be continued...**

No comments: