Monday, June 11, 2007

Running out of Gas

As I previously posted in an another entry, I started a job on the 1st of the month. Well, I've always been working. But this is the first time in a long time that I will actually have to be doing the conventional work thing. I have to actually get up every morning, get dressed, leave my house at a certain hour, fight through traffic, get to work with a smile on my face, maintain the sunny disposition for the entire day, and leave and fight the traffic all the way back home. I'm tired just thinking about it.

Well, two things I'm certainly going to have to get use to is all the gas we have to pour into my sister's car and the sleep that I need to get at night in order to be alert. And I'm not doing too well with the gas or the sleep.

Well, my job is 43 miles from my house. So, you know how much money we are paying for gas. ($2.95) My sister has to take me, come back home, and then come pick me up, and head back to our house. That is about 150 miles a day. That's a dog on shame. (Is it worth it?) I don't know yet...

I put so much gas in the car that I really get ticked off. It seems that I never have enough gas in the tank. I fill it up, hoping that I can get better miles on the trip. But I still have to end up putting gas in the car by the turn of the next day. That is so crazy!

I feel like I'm working , just to put gas in the car to get to work. Hmmm.... That's not the goal of employment. The goal of employment is to get money to spend on stuff that has nothing to do with work. You know what I mean?

I checked into a transportation system set up by Harris County for the disabled. Well, the program will charge me $600 a month to get to work. Isn't that outrageous? A sister just can't get a break. Harris County wants me to pay all that money for a shared ride service. And if I wanted to stop at the pharmacy before I got home, or if I wanted to stop at Jack in the Box to grab me some breakfast before I got to work, I wouldn't be able to. With those services, you have to go straight to your pick up and drop off. For $600, I need to be able to go somewhere else if I need to.

My sleeping habits are out of control. I've always been a night owl. Every since I was 14 years old, I haven't known how to take my tail to sleep. That was okay in my younger days... But now that I'm in my mature days of womanhood, I feel the pain of not having slept well the night before.

And since I'm not a coffee drinker, I get a little punished when I need to be up and alert. I'm back on my Mountain Dew for the caf. But I know that is not good. I don't need those empty calories right now.

I knew when I accepted this position that I was going to have to make myself go to bed at night. I started off pretty good. But every night, I started staying up later and later. Right now it's after 1:00 in the A.M. What's wrong with me? I got to be up at 5:45. Lord have mercy!

I can already see that it's not going to be long before my car and my body run out of gas. I have got to figure out a way to keep gas in the car and keep gas in my body by going to bed at night. Wish me luck.

The working girl,

Angie

3 comments:

Dangerfield said...

"
I knew when I accepted this position that I was going to have to make myself go to bed at night. I started off pretty good. But every night, I started staying up later and later. Right now it's after 1:00 in the A.M. What's wrong with me? I got to be up at 5:45. Lord have mercy!"

mark bey: Hello angela I can completely feel you on your being a nightowl. Id say I go to bed late at least 70% of the time and I always pay for it. Id say its because Im addicted to the internet and blogging.

Fortunately for me I am able to get an hour of rest during my lunch breack if I need it.

Is it possible for you to take a nap or 2 at work. After all you travel so far to and from work Im sure your employers would understand why you would be a little tired at work Im sure if you let a co-worker know to call when your break is up it wouldnt be a problem.

Im totally feeling your pain on this and I hoping you get used to your new job very soon.

Angela L. Braden, Writer, Speaker, Professor said...

I'm not one to sleep at work, even on my lunch break. Yes, I could close my door to my office and just slip away for a quick nap, but I just don't feel comfortable doing that. So, instead of sleeping, I just close the door, turn my radio off, and try to relax my mind for a while. The hour of silence does me well.

Plus, I like to make phone calls during my lunch break. If I'm sleep, I can't take care of business.

Unknown said...

Wow. That must have been very hard for you. It really is a bummer having to work so hard and then ending up having your earnings pay for your gas. And that shared service offer I think is a rip-off. For 600 dollars, I personally feel you should be able to do more with your transportation, even though it is shared.
Kenny Isbell